Strategically planning your upcoming move is essential to maintain your sanity—as well as the organization of your personal belongings. Instead of overcomplicating the move, here are 12 tips to help you to simplify the process:
- Instead of buying bubble wrap, use towels, blankets, and clothing to pack breakable items. Socks work great around stemware and glasses.
- Keep clothing in the dressers instead of removing the contents. Buy a roll of plastic stretch wrap to secure the drawers in place.
- Another use of the stretch wrap is to protect furniture. Cover delicate items in blankets, wrap with plastic and use a marker to label “fragile” on the outside.
- Invest in clear plastic bins to easily locate items that you will need first. Kitchen supplies, toilet paper, and other important things can be quickly located after you get to your new home.
- Don’t stack dinner plates. Instead, wrap them and pack them vertically in the box to reduce breaks.
- Pack essentials in an overnight bag. These essentials could include a bath towel, a fresh change of clothes, hair brush, and anything else that you will need the first night in your new home.
- Use color coded labels on boxes by room for easy unpacking. Make sure the labels are on the sides of the boxes to identify the contents when the boxes are stacked.
- Prevent leaks by opening your toiletries and putting plastic wrap over the opening. Then replace the lid over the plastic wrap.
- Store screws and other small parts in plastic Ziploc bags. Then, tape the bag onto the TV, table, or bed frame to keep all of the equipment together.
- Put plastic garbage bags over clothing hanging in the closet. There is no need to remove the hangers and fold everything.
- Have everything packed before the movers show up. If all boxes are ready to go, it will speed up the process and could help you save money by minimizing the time the movers are on the job.
- Drop off charity donations a week before your moving date to clear space in your home. Often, homeowners find items in good condition that they no longer need or want. These items can be donated to a local organization that will accept such contributions.
Here at Ruff and Ready Moving Company, our goal is to simplify your move. Contact us for more information about the services that are available: (951) 834-3539