When you are preparing to move, do you feel like everything is lost in a shuffle of the boxes? Many well-intended homeowners end up throwing their moving boxes together in a way that makes it hard to find what they need when it is time to unpack.
Instead of rushing through the packing process, it is better to take a little time to organize your belongings. A little bit of organization can go a long way to ensure that it is fast and easy to unpack everything in your new home.
Here are a few things that you can do to organize your upcoming move:
- Pack by Room: While you are packing, only work on one room at a time. For example, keep all of the kitchen items together because everything will be unpacked in your new kitchen.
- Have the Right Supplies: Before you start packing, make sure that you have supplies on hand. Garbage bags can be helpful to protect items and keep out the dust. Ziplock baggies are essential to hold screws and bolts that come with the furniture. Make sure that you have plenty of boxes, packing tape, and markers for labeling.
- Label Everything: Instead of a basic label on each box, take a moment to write down the contents inside. Some people simply label all of the boxes with “kitchen,” but it can be hard to find the pots and pans when you start unpacking. Instead, write down a short bullet-point list of the main items in each box.
- Color Coordinate: Invest in a few rolls of colored duct tape, and use the tape to color coordinate your boxes by room. These colors will make it easy for the movers to know where to place the boxes in your new home. Simply put a paper outside the door with the color of tape that matches the boxes for that area of the home.
- Invest in Sturdy Storage Containers: Are you packing items that need to be kept in long-term storage? Instead of packing, unpacking, and packing again, consider the advantages of investing in sturdy long-term storage containers. For example, you might choose clear bins for holiday décor, so that you can easily see the items inside each bin.
Do you need help with your upcoming move? Contact Ruff and Ready Moving Company for more information: (951) 834-3539